Can I wait? Or sometimes I make the question, should I wait?
Sunday, April 22, 2012
April 22, 2012
1 Marshmallow or 2?
I first saw this clip in one of my graduate courses. The experiment followed these four-year-old children into their teen years. The ones who waited to eat the marshmallow averaged 210 points higher on the SAT than the children who could not resist the one marshmallow while waiting for the second one.
Oh how the innocence of children reflects our adult human nature.
A tantalizing marshmallow set in front of me. A promise that if I just wait…I won’t get just one marshmallow, but two.
Can I wait? Or sometimes I make the question, should I wait?
What’s the balance between SEIZING THE DAY and WAITING PATIENTLY for what’s been promised?
I mean after all, think of all the things that could happen in between now and the end of the waiting period. What if this is my only chance to get just one marshmallow? Shouldn’t I pounce on it?
More thoughts to come on the wrestling that ensues as we wait…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
April 22, 2012
1 Marshmallow or 2?
I first saw this clip in one of my graduate courses. The experiment followed these four-year-old children into their teen years. The ones who waited to eat the marshmallow averaged 210 points higher on the SAT than the children who could not resist the one marshmallow while waiting for the second one.
Oh how the innocence of children reflects our adult human nature.
A tantalizing marshmallow set in front of me. A promise that if I just wait…I won’t get just one marshmallow, but two.
Can I wait? Or sometimes I make the question, should I wait?
What’s the balance between SEIZING THE DAY and WAITING PATIENTLY for what’s been promised?
I mean after all, think of all the things that could happen in between now and the end of the waiting period. What if this is my only chance to get just one marshmallow? Shouldn’t I pounce on it?
More thoughts to come on the wrestling that ensues as we wait…

0 comments:
Post a Comment