Thursday, May 3, 2012
May 3, 2012
Waiting for marshallow #2: Anna
I don’t know if I even want to write this one. Seriously.
Writing about it makes me acknowledge the truth of it. It’s the story of Anna in Luke 2.
Waiting a couple minutes = somewhat expected but not wanted. Waiting half an hour through automated 1-800
numbers to get a live person on the phone to answer a question = annoying.
Waiting a day for the plumber to come for a leaky faucet = frustrating. Then there are the bigger ticket items: job,
spouse, children. We aren’t usually
talking days here for that type of waiting. Months. Sometimes years.
Waiting for Anna meant waiting a lifetime. She was 84 years old when she finally got to
experience what she was waiting for.
And what was she waiting for?
A Savior. That’s the other thing
that is staring me in the face. A little
conviction about my own list of things I’m waiting for…and getting frustrated
over.
What’s my list when I think about what I am waiting for in great
anticipation? Can I really say eagerly, every day, waiting, fasting, praying for
the Lord’s return??? Anna was waiting
steadfastly for Him.
And how she was waiting…
“serving day and night with fasting and prayers”
I’d love to say I’m serving day and night as I wait for whatever it
is I’m waiting for. But reality is more
energy is put into trying to escape from having to wait.
I’ve got a lot to learn from Anna.
Three short verses.
But three short verses in Luke that speak volumes about waiting.
Anna understood what it meant to wait for marshmallow #2. She turned a lot of corners with expectation,
not knowing what was on the other side.
But the wait was completely worth it in the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
May 3, 2012
Waiting for marshallow #2: Anna
I don’t know if I even want to write this one. Seriously.
Writing about it makes me acknowledge the truth of it. It’s the story of Anna in Luke 2.
Waiting a couple minutes = somewhat expected but not wanted. Waiting half an hour through automated 1-800
numbers to get a live person on the phone to answer a question = annoying.
Waiting a day for the plumber to come for a leaky faucet = frustrating. Then there are the bigger ticket items: job,
spouse, children. We aren’t usually
talking days here for that type of waiting. Months. Sometimes years.
Waiting for Anna meant waiting a lifetime. She was 84 years old when she finally got to
experience what she was waiting for.
And what was she waiting for?
A Savior. That’s the other thing
that is staring me in the face. A little
conviction about my own list of things I’m waiting for…and getting frustrated
over.
What’s my list when I think about what I am waiting for in great
anticipation? Can I really say eagerly, every day, waiting, fasting, praying for
the Lord’s return??? Anna was waiting
steadfastly for Him.
And how she was waiting…
“serving day and night with fasting and prayers”
I’d love to say I’m serving day and night as I wait for whatever it
is I’m waiting for. But reality is more
energy is put into trying to escape from having to wait.
I’ve got a lot to learn from Anna.
Three short verses.
But three short verses in Luke that speak volumes about waiting.
Anna understood what it meant to wait for marshmallow #2. She turned a lot of corners with expectation,
not knowing what was on the other side.
But the wait was completely worth it in the end.

0 comments:
Post a Comment