Sunday, January 20, 2013

January 20, 2013

Thankful for the investment…

How thankful I am that in my life, there have been some incredible women who invested in me. The wife, mother, and youth ministry leader who shared her daily life with me as she raised her children and ministered alongside her husband.  The woman who took me under her wing as I stepped onto a college campus and into a sorority, ambitious to start a bible study, with no idea where to begin. The women at the camp I worked at for many summers who let me make mistakes, learn from experience, and guided me as I learned what servant leadership was all about.  The incredible wisdom that was shared with me from a woman who poured in weekly to me as I set out in full-time youth ministry after college, helping to shape my prayer life and my daily surrender to the Lord.


All of them could have said…."I don’t know how, or I don’t have time, or I’m not the right person, I’m just not gifted that way."


But they didn’t. 



They offered to let me be a part of their story. The one that the Lord was writing in their lives. Just by sharing their lives with me.



A couple weeks ago I received a message from a girl who was a student in the youth ministry I worked for after college, the same youth ministry that was monumental in my own life when I was in high school.  I think what struck me most about her words were that she was not thanking me for doing a certain thing, being a certain type of person, spending an exorbitant amount of time…she literally said “thanks for just being consistent and present.”



Just being consistent and present. It’s so much more about the willingness than anything else.



My favorite part is that nothing I did in being present or consistent for her was anything of my own. It had been modeled for me by the women who had invested in me.  And now…well she is now on staff with the ministry I worked for when she was a student. Being “consistent and present” for a group of girls she is building relationships with…



Jesus said the words to the disciples, "Go and make disciples."



When I don’t know how to set about making disciples or I think I don’t have anything to offer…I’ve got Him.  That’s all I need.



All of us can do this.  Just be consistent and present.  Share our lives with others. And allow the Lord to do the rest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

January 20, 2013

Thankful for the investment…

How thankful I am that in my life, there have been some incredible women who invested in me. The wife, mother, and youth ministry leader who shared her daily life with me as she raised her children and ministered alongside her husband.  The woman who took me under her wing as I stepped onto a college campus and into a sorority, ambitious to start a bible study, with no idea where to begin. The women at the camp I worked at for many summers who let me make mistakes, learn from experience, and guided me as I learned what servant leadership was all about.  The incredible wisdom that was shared with me from a woman who poured in weekly to me as I set out in full-time youth ministry after college, helping to shape my prayer life and my daily surrender to the Lord.


All of them could have said…."I don’t know how, or I don’t have time, or I’m not the right person, I’m just not gifted that way."


But they didn’t. 



They offered to let me be a part of their story. The one that the Lord was writing in their lives. Just by sharing their lives with me.



A couple weeks ago I received a message from a girl who was a student in the youth ministry I worked for after college, the same youth ministry that was monumental in my own life when I was in high school.  I think what struck me most about her words were that she was not thanking me for doing a certain thing, being a certain type of person, spending an exorbitant amount of time…she literally said “thanks for just being consistent and present.”



Just being consistent and present. It’s so much more about the willingness than anything else.



My favorite part is that nothing I did in being present or consistent for her was anything of my own. It had been modeled for me by the women who had invested in me.  And now…well she is now on staff with the ministry I worked for when she was a student. Being “consistent and present” for a group of girls she is building relationships with…



Jesus said the words to the disciples, "Go and make disciples."



When I don’t know how to set about making disciples or I think I don’t have anything to offer…I’ve got Him.  That’s all I need.



All of us can do this.  Just be consistent and present.  Share our lives with others. And allow the Lord to do the rest.
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates