Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2, 2012

Whose resume is that?

“God is in the résumé-building business. He is always using past experiences to prepare us for future opportunities.”
―
Mark Batterson, In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day

Whenever I take a look at my resume, I shake my head and wonder whose resume I’m staring at. That's because my resume looks nothing like what I would have imagined when I added my first job. 

What an incredible blessing that first job was…to be hired by the discipleship ministry that had impacted me so greatly when I was in high school.  The two-year commitment was easy to make.  And my love for teaching, well I thought after two years, I’d find my way back to the classroom.  I’m back in the classroom, but not two years later.  Sandwiched in between are memories that can’t be truly captured in words: relationships built in the trenches of youth ministry, lessons learned in navigating women’s ministry, nuggets of truth wrestled with through Bible teaching, and a balancing act completing a Master in Education while serving in school administration. 

Without a doubt, past resume bullet points prepared me for what came next.

Yes, I may wonder whose resume I’m staring at. But then I smile.  Resumes hint at our life story.  Hint, not tell the whole thing.  But in my case, the hint is strong enough that God is really in control of each and every step I take.

"'What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived'
    the things God has prepared for those who love Him..."
1 Corinthians 2:9

I may not know what's coming next on the resume, but I know who is really writing the bullet points.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

July 2, 2012

Whose resume is that?

“God is in the résumé-building business. He is always using past experiences to prepare us for future opportunities.”
―
Mark Batterson, In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day

Whenever I take a look at my resume, I shake my head and wonder whose resume I’m staring at. That's because my resume looks nothing like what I would have imagined when I added my first job. 

What an incredible blessing that first job was…to be hired by the discipleship ministry that had impacted me so greatly when I was in high school.  The two-year commitment was easy to make.  And my love for teaching, well I thought after two years, I’d find my way back to the classroom.  I’m back in the classroom, but not two years later.  Sandwiched in between are memories that can’t be truly captured in words: relationships built in the trenches of youth ministry, lessons learned in navigating women’s ministry, nuggets of truth wrestled with through Bible teaching, and a balancing act completing a Master in Education while serving in school administration. 

Without a doubt, past resume bullet points prepared me for what came next.

Yes, I may wonder whose resume I’m staring at. But then I smile.  Resumes hint at our life story.  Hint, not tell the whole thing.  But in my case, the hint is strong enough that God is really in control of each and every step I take.

"'What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived'
    the things God has prepared for those who love Him..."
1 Corinthians 2:9

I may not know what's coming next on the resume, but I know who is really writing the bullet points.
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates