Monday, March 19, 2012

March 19, 2012

Mirror, Mirror: What’s around the corner?
New twist to an old phrase. Snow White’s rendition: Mirror, Mirror on the wall; Who’s the fairest of them all?  New version: Mirror, Mirror; What’s around the corner? 

That’s right.  The mirror pictured has a purpose. It's exclusive purpose is to reflect what’s around the corner. And yes, I use it every time I pull out of the Galleria. Otherwise I wouldn’t know what was about to hit me as I pulled out to round the corner.

Wow...how I wish the mirror I pull out of my purse would just let me see around life’s corner just once.  Then just maybe I could avoid, or at least prepare myself for the big Mack truck barreling my way to take me out. OR I could run headfirst with excitement to grab a hold of the winning lottery ticket. Good or bad. Whatever it is around the corner.  Don’t I want a mirror to give me a hint at what’s next?

You know though, the more I think about that very question, the more I realize I know the answer.  I DESPERATELY try to peak around the corner. In fact, I try to create my own mirrors.  It’s when I refuse to let something slip through my fingers because I’m afraid there may not be something better in the future.  So I hold on with a death grip even when I know what’s in the palm of my hand really is not what’s right for me. Or the way I try and force something to happen because I just don’t know if I can trust it will on its own.  It’s working myself up in either worry or excitement about something in tomorrow that’s never been promised to me.

But then I stop myself with the question: Would I live any differently if I held such a magic mirror?

I want to say YES!!!  If only I had that mirror, I could make the most of each and every moment knowing what is coming next!  And yet that’s what I need to do anyway.  And that’s what this journey is all about right now.  I want the mirrors even while knowing I need to live by faith.

For this week...I’m going back to an all too familiar verse to me:
 
“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
Hebrews 11:1

It may be a familiar verse to me....but not one I’m living in the truth of every day, every moment....

Sometimes a little visual of stepping out blindly...in faith....without mirrors is a perfect reminder:
http://youtu.be/r_ORj8gRjzk

So my challenge to myself this week: What are the “mirrors” I try to use to peek around the corner?  And instead of using these hand-crafted mirrors....do I dare take a step around the corner without one?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

March 19, 2012

Mirror, Mirror: What’s around the corner?
New twist to an old phrase. Snow White’s rendition: Mirror, Mirror on the wall; Who’s the fairest of them all?  New version: Mirror, Mirror; What’s around the corner? 

That’s right.  The mirror pictured has a purpose. It's exclusive purpose is to reflect what’s around the corner. And yes, I use it every time I pull out of the Galleria. Otherwise I wouldn’t know what was about to hit me as I pulled out to round the corner.

Wow...how I wish the mirror I pull out of my purse would just let me see around life’s corner just once.  Then just maybe I could avoid, or at least prepare myself for the big Mack truck barreling my way to take me out. OR I could run headfirst with excitement to grab a hold of the winning lottery ticket. Good or bad. Whatever it is around the corner.  Don’t I want a mirror to give me a hint at what’s next?

You know though, the more I think about that very question, the more I realize I know the answer.  I DESPERATELY try to peak around the corner. In fact, I try to create my own mirrors.  It’s when I refuse to let something slip through my fingers because I’m afraid there may not be something better in the future.  So I hold on with a death grip even when I know what’s in the palm of my hand really is not what’s right for me. Or the way I try and force something to happen because I just don’t know if I can trust it will on its own.  It’s working myself up in either worry or excitement about something in tomorrow that’s never been promised to me.

But then I stop myself with the question: Would I live any differently if I held such a magic mirror?

I want to say YES!!!  If only I had that mirror, I could make the most of each and every moment knowing what is coming next!  And yet that’s what I need to do anyway.  And that’s what this journey is all about right now.  I want the mirrors even while knowing I need to live by faith.

For this week...I’m going back to an all too familiar verse to me:
 
“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
Hebrews 11:1

It may be a familiar verse to me....but not one I’m living in the truth of every day, every moment....

Sometimes a little visual of stepping out blindly...in faith....without mirrors is a perfect reminder:
http://youtu.be/r_ORj8gRjzk

So my challenge to myself this week: What are the “mirrors” I try to use to peek around the corner?  And instead of using these hand-crafted mirrors....do I dare take a step around the corner without one?
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates