Sunday, September 16, 2012
September 16, 2012
Remembering 9/11
We had a moment of
silence at school last Tuesday. It was
an interesting conversation afterwards with a room full of 3rd
graders. Most were at least aware of a
significance attached to the date. Several comments included, “My dad says….or
my mom remembers when that happened…”
But overall, it
was mostly curiosity on their part. That
date is not part of their life story.
Their life story includes the aftermath, but not the memory of that day.
An inquisitive
mind asked if I remembered
the day. And as so many of us can say,
absolutely I remember the day. I
remember exactly where I was the moment the news first came to my ears. I remember what I did the rest of the
day. When an event like that occurs, an
unshakeable imprint is made on our minds.
We may have trouble remembering what we had for lunch yesterday, but the
details of a day like that are unforgettable.
9/11 is one of
those memories that as a nation we share.
But each one of us has our own monumental moments along our life journey
that are also imprinted into our hearts and minds.
Those moments that
we can remember the details of where we were, what we were wearing, sometimes
the sounds and smells around us. Some of
those moments are captured in great happiness, while others are poignant,
reflecting times of loss and grief. They elicit emotions and sometimes when
remembering, we seem to be transported back to the very moments.
For some reason
thinking about this today, made me also think of the gospels. What a gift!
Words from those who experienced
the life of Jesus. As they are retelling
the events of Jesus’ life or the years just following his death, little did
they know we would be relishing their words thousands of years later.
Just like the 3rd
graders had not experienced 9/11, I obviously did not experience the actual life
of Christ. Yet, the Lord wanted me to
have the treasure of that time through the gift of His Word, penned by those
that slept near Him, questioned Him, followed Him, learned from Him, prayed
with Him, and eventually set out to share about His death and resurrection.
I wish I could say
I wake up each morning ready to devour the Word, ready to immerse myself in the
truth it offers to me. But that’s simply not true. Sure, some days I relish in what I find and
the ways God is revealing Himself to me.
Other days I find myself reading out of obedience. It’s true that I’m
guilty of taking the Good Book for granted. Some days it even remains closed on
my bedside table.
But this little
reminder today makes me think:
It’s time to go
read. With renewed eyes as I glimpse into the heart of my God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
September 16, 2012
Remembering 9/11
We had a moment of
silence at school last Tuesday. It was
an interesting conversation afterwards with a room full of 3rd
graders. Most were at least aware of a
significance attached to the date. Several comments included, “My dad says….or
my mom remembers when that happened…”
But overall, it
was mostly curiosity on their part. That
date is not part of their life story.
Their life story includes the aftermath, but not the memory of that day.
An inquisitive
mind asked if I remembered
the day. And as so many of us can say,
absolutely I remember the day. I
remember exactly where I was the moment the news first came to my ears. I remember what I did the rest of the
day. When an event like that occurs, an
unshakeable imprint is made on our minds.
We may have trouble remembering what we had for lunch yesterday, but the
details of a day like that are unforgettable.
9/11 is one of
those memories that as a nation we share.
But each one of us has our own monumental moments along our life journey
that are also imprinted into our hearts and minds.
Those moments that
we can remember the details of where we were, what we were wearing, sometimes
the sounds and smells around us. Some of
those moments are captured in great happiness, while others are poignant,
reflecting times of loss and grief. They elicit emotions and sometimes when
remembering, we seem to be transported back to the very moments.
For some reason
thinking about this today, made me also think of the gospels. What a gift!
Words from those who experienced
the life of Jesus. As they are retelling
the events of Jesus’ life or the years just following his death, little did
they know we would be relishing their words thousands of years later.
Just like the 3rd
graders had not experienced 9/11, I obviously did not experience the actual life
of Christ. Yet, the Lord wanted me to
have the treasure of that time through the gift of His Word, penned by those
that slept near Him, questioned Him, followed Him, learned from Him, prayed
with Him, and eventually set out to share about His death and resurrection.
I wish I could say
I wake up each morning ready to devour the Word, ready to immerse myself in the
truth it offers to me. But that’s simply not true. Sure, some days I relish in what I find and
the ways God is revealing Himself to me.
Other days I find myself reading out of obedience. It’s true that I’m
guilty of taking the Good Book for granted. Some days it even remains closed on
my bedside table.
But this little
reminder today makes me think:
It’s time to go
read. With renewed eyes as I glimpse into the heart of my God.

0 comments:
Post a Comment