Sunday, September 23, 2012

September 23, 2012


Small, unexpected moments…

Yesterday morning I headed to one of my favorite brunch spots.  I had some reading I wanted to accomplish so I settled comfortably into one of the café’s over easy armchairs with my book and my meal.  Within ten minutes, a man occupied a seat within a few feet of me, probably mid-thirties, excitedly talking on his phone.  The essence of his conversation = wheelin’ and dealin’. He was pulling some deal together successfully and as he gained confidence in his victory, his voice grew louder and louder.

But that was just the introduction to this guy.

Soon after his call concluded, silence ensued from his area of the room for oh, about two whole minutes. Then, he called over the café’s manager, who had been walking around, checking in on customers.

And that’s when the small, unexpected moment that was a blessing to watch really began.

He handed the manager a credit card.  My initial thought was, “Does this guy think he gets served at his table? Can’t he see everyone walk up to the counter to order?”

Bad first judgment call on my part.  Because the next words out of his mouth were:

“I want you to go pay for someone’s meal.  How about that guy, the one in line with white hair?” Can you go take this to the cashier and see that the man’s meal is paid for?”

The manager looked at him astonished. Speechless for a moment.  Then smiled and headed to the line.  He slipped behind the counter and tried to explain what he wanted the cashier to do.  At this point, I could no longer hear across the room, but I was mesmerized watching the events unfold.

The customer that was going to receive this blessing stood completely unaware, about four customers back in line.  I was anxious to see what happened when he discovered his meal was being paid for.  In fact, my book was no longer captivating my attention; I was solely tuned in to the other side of the room waiting for the white-haired gentleman to make his way to the front of the line.

Finally, it was his turn.  He ordered, along with two others accompanying him.  The man reached for his wallet just as the manager stepped up to the cash register and refused to take his credit card.  Although I could not hear the words, the manager had to be sharing that the bill was already paid.  I watched the older man begin to scratch the back of his head.  I imagined, since I was only seeing the back of him, complete bewilderment crossing his face, as the manager stood there explain to him that another patron had paid for his bill.

A small, unexpected moment. But one that was just a fresh reminder of my own bill that was paid.

Sometimes small, unexpected moments remind us of life-changing events.

“But God demonstrates His own love us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through Him.”   Romans 5:8-9


0 comments:

Post a Comment

September 23, 2012


Small, unexpected moments…

Yesterday morning I headed to one of my favorite brunch spots.  I had some reading I wanted to accomplish so I settled comfortably into one of the café’s over easy armchairs with my book and my meal.  Within ten minutes, a man occupied a seat within a few feet of me, probably mid-thirties, excitedly talking on his phone.  The essence of his conversation = wheelin’ and dealin’. He was pulling some deal together successfully and as he gained confidence in his victory, his voice grew louder and louder.

But that was just the introduction to this guy.

Soon after his call concluded, silence ensued from his area of the room for oh, about two whole minutes. Then, he called over the café’s manager, who had been walking around, checking in on customers.

And that’s when the small, unexpected moment that was a blessing to watch really began.

He handed the manager a credit card.  My initial thought was, “Does this guy think he gets served at his table? Can’t he see everyone walk up to the counter to order?”

Bad first judgment call on my part.  Because the next words out of his mouth were:

“I want you to go pay for someone’s meal.  How about that guy, the one in line with white hair?” Can you go take this to the cashier and see that the man’s meal is paid for?”

The manager looked at him astonished. Speechless for a moment.  Then smiled and headed to the line.  He slipped behind the counter and tried to explain what he wanted the cashier to do.  At this point, I could no longer hear across the room, but I was mesmerized watching the events unfold.

The customer that was going to receive this blessing stood completely unaware, about four customers back in line.  I was anxious to see what happened when he discovered his meal was being paid for.  In fact, my book was no longer captivating my attention; I was solely tuned in to the other side of the room waiting for the white-haired gentleman to make his way to the front of the line.

Finally, it was his turn.  He ordered, along with two others accompanying him.  The man reached for his wallet just as the manager stepped up to the cash register and refused to take his credit card.  Although I could not hear the words, the manager had to be sharing that the bill was already paid.  I watched the older man begin to scratch the back of his head.  I imagined, since I was only seeing the back of him, complete bewilderment crossing his face, as the manager stood there explain to him that another patron had paid for his bill.

A small, unexpected moment. But one that was just a fresh reminder of my own bill that was paid.

Sometimes small, unexpected moments remind us of life-changing events.

“But God demonstrates His own love us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through Him.”   Romans 5:8-9


 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates