Sunday, September 9, 2012
September 9, 2012
I’m in a hurry…
When the song,
“I’m in a hurry to get things done” (by Alabama) first came out a number of
years ago, I had an instant connection with it. In fact, you could say it was
the perfect theme song for my life.
The chorus from
the song:
I’m in a hurry to
get things done
I rush and rush
until life’s no fun.
All I really got to
do is live and die
But I’m in a hurry
and don’t know why
Not exactly the
best theme song for life. But it overwhelmingly
fits. You see I’m a list maker and a
“doer.” In fact, when being completely honest with myself, I find joy and
satisfaction in making a list and checking items off. I’ve even been known to reflect upon my day,
and realizing that I managed to accomplish a number of things NOT on my list,
I’ve added them to the original list just so I could check them off.
Of course, list
making can be a great strategy, don’t get me wrong. I’d have no way of remembering everything I
needed or wanted to do if I did not write it down. The difference is, when that list determines
all the moments of your day, plans your weeks and months. And leaves you no time to just live.
That’s the
problem. That’s when you know you are in a hurry just to get the list done,
only to find there are more things on the next list. And all the hurrying and “doing” leaves less
time for the joy of living.
I’m not writing
today to say I’ve found an answer. Far from it.
But I’m writing
these words down as a reminder, a reminder I really need each and every day.
So here is my
revised list for today:
“Seek first His
kingdom and His righteousness…” Matthew 6:33
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
September 9, 2012
I’m in a hurry…
When the song,
“I’m in a hurry to get things done” (by Alabama) first came out a number of
years ago, I had an instant connection with it. In fact, you could say it was
the perfect theme song for my life.
The chorus from
the song:
I’m in a hurry to
get things done
I rush and rush
until life’s no fun.
All I really got to
do is live and die
But I’m in a hurry
and don’t know why
Not exactly the
best theme song for life. But it overwhelmingly
fits. You see I’m a list maker and a
“doer.” In fact, when being completely honest with myself, I find joy and
satisfaction in making a list and checking items off. I’ve even been known to reflect upon my day,
and realizing that I managed to accomplish a number of things NOT on my list,
I’ve added them to the original list just so I could check them off.
Of course, list
making can be a great strategy, don’t get me wrong. I’d have no way of remembering everything I
needed or wanted to do if I did not write it down. The difference is, when that list determines
all the moments of your day, plans your weeks and months. And leaves you no time to just live.
That’s the
problem. That’s when you know you are in a hurry just to get the list done,
only to find there are more things on the next list. And all the hurrying and “doing” leaves less
time for the joy of living.
I’m not writing
today to say I’ve found an answer. Far from it.
But I’m writing
these words down as a reminder, a reminder I really need each and every day.
So here is my
revised list for today:
“Seek first His
kingdom and His righteousness…” Matthew 6:33

0 comments:
Post a Comment