Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 12, 2012

The oxymoron of being known...

Want a challenge?  Try explaining the word “oxymoron” to a child.  Sure, a great first stab at the explanation is using some examples: almost exactly, freezer burn, definitely maybe, seriously funny, pretty ugly, jumbo shrimp, or silent scream.  In fact, there are websites that list hundreds of common oxymorons we use in everyday conversations.

How about a life oxymoron? Perhaps not a grammatical oxymoron made of two words, but one of those paradoxical ways we live life:  The desire to be known inside and out all the while attempting to hide who we truly are for fear of other people's perceptions of us or the fear of not being loved for who we are.

Resonate?  Recognizable to anyone?

See the irony? Yes, more than two words, more than a mere oxymoron, but the essence is the same.  A desire to be known, all the while pouring heart and soul into perfecting a perception of who we think we should be.  The perceptions we adorn can be wrapped in clothing, jobs, location, political stances, or how bold we are in standing for the Lord.  If we give off the “right” perception, then the “right people” will want to know us. Right?

And if the “right” people get to know us….well, is there anything better than being known by the “right” people? (But wait….they don’t really know us, they just know the “right” perception of us). 

Back to being known.  Not by the “right” front we put on, but really being known.

Last week I was at a professional development training listening to an incredible speaker who illustrated a point about how we all want to be known.  Living in the East, she referred to riding on the subway, noticing a stranger deeply engrossed in a book that she had just read.  She commented on her overwhelming desire to make eye contact with the stranger just to suggest a familiarity because of a shared interest in a book.   Her point she was making was the innate desire to be known….that even with strangers we look for connections just to find someone who understands us.

We want to be known. So why the masks? Why the analyzing of our actions? Why the guarding of ourselves at times?  Why pretend to be someone we are not?  Not consistently necessarily, but certainly at times.

So that we can become known…

The oxymoron of being known but not for who we really are on the inside.

Reminder: God knows me inside and out.  Regardless of any person I pretend to be.

I just don’t think I can be reminded of this truth enough:

Psalm 139 (1-5, 13-16)
1 “You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me…

13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be…”

Thankfully, I am already known.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

June 12, 2012

The oxymoron of being known...

Want a challenge?  Try explaining the word “oxymoron” to a child.  Sure, a great first stab at the explanation is using some examples: almost exactly, freezer burn, definitely maybe, seriously funny, pretty ugly, jumbo shrimp, or silent scream.  In fact, there are websites that list hundreds of common oxymorons we use in everyday conversations.

How about a life oxymoron? Perhaps not a grammatical oxymoron made of two words, but one of those paradoxical ways we live life:  The desire to be known inside and out all the while attempting to hide who we truly are for fear of other people's perceptions of us or the fear of not being loved for who we are.

Resonate?  Recognizable to anyone?

See the irony? Yes, more than two words, more than a mere oxymoron, but the essence is the same.  A desire to be known, all the while pouring heart and soul into perfecting a perception of who we think we should be.  The perceptions we adorn can be wrapped in clothing, jobs, location, political stances, or how bold we are in standing for the Lord.  If we give off the “right” perception, then the “right people” will want to know us. Right?

And if the “right” people get to know us….well, is there anything better than being known by the “right” people? (But wait….they don’t really know us, they just know the “right” perception of us). 

Back to being known.  Not by the “right” front we put on, but really being known.

Last week I was at a professional development training listening to an incredible speaker who illustrated a point about how we all want to be known.  Living in the East, she referred to riding on the subway, noticing a stranger deeply engrossed in a book that she had just read.  She commented on her overwhelming desire to make eye contact with the stranger just to suggest a familiarity because of a shared interest in a book.   Her point she was making was the innate desire to be known….that even with strangers we look for connections just to find someone who understands us.

We want to be known. So why the masks? Why the analyzing of our actions? Why the guarding of ourselves at times?  Why pretend to be someone we are not?  Not consistently necessarily, but certainly at times.

So that we can become known…

The oxymoron of being known but not for who we really are on the inside.

Reminder: God knows me inside and out.  Regardless of any person I pretend to be.

I just don’t think I can be reminded of this truth enough:

Psalm 139 (1-5, 13-16)
1 “You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me…

13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be…”

Thankfully, I am already known.

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates